Five Days Away and a 40th Birthday

Richard and Bonnie Lorenzin visited Vanuatu for the 5th year to fish our waters. They opted to make it an adventure so we had no real solid plan for the week when we left Port Vila at 5am on day one. We figured we would head north and stay at Epi and wing it from there. The first day was fairly good with a couple of good sized mahi-mahi volunteering for the fish bin and a detour past Cooks Reef turned up a 22kg wahoo and a doggy along with a few mack tuna that we would use for doggy bait in the days to come. After a great night at Paradise Sunset Bungalows we headed west to DeChauliac bank the next morning. On the way we spotted a marlin tailing on the surface however it would not co-operate other than having a brief look at the blue pusher on the rigger and swimming off into the distance. On arrival at DeChauliac we cleared the gear and got out the jigging rigs. On the first drop Bonnie hooked up on a 20kg(aprox) reef shark and Richard got smoked on what I suspect was a good size doggy from the ferocity the line was peeling off the reel which was set at 12kg of drag only to be cut of on the 106m bottom. From there after we couldn’t get a bite on the jigs so we set the lures again and
headed for the Maskelyne Islands. Activity was slow for the rest of the day with only a couple of barracouta being caught. We decided to call in and stay the night at
Sandalai Village at the very bottom of the Maskelyne’s.We headed out the next morning and had the gear in the water a couple of minutes from anchorage and hooked a good sized wahoo first up to show some promise for the day which was a special day as it was being Bonnie’s 40th birthday.We spent a couple an hour towing baits around on the surface and on the downrigger in some of my favourite doggy haunts for no return so it was time to move on. We headed east from Malekula and had a mystery bite that didn’t stay on then along the coast of Ambrym Island to find yet another tailing marlin that wouldn’t co-operate. Another hour into the day I was just about to go downstairs and prepare lunch when a 120kg+ blue marlin swiping the sort corner lure making a couple of jumps and falling off. Bloody marlin fishing!!!!!!!! We stopped at pigeon reef out the back of Lamen Island and dropper some of our rigged mack tuna to try and entice the doggies only to again get sharked so it was fish the reefs of Palma and anchor up in Lamen Bay and get on with celebrating Bonnies birthday at Sunset Bungalows. With everyone travelling a little slow the next morning it was a nice leisurely start and a 10mile run down the coast of Epi in perfect conditions. With a wale jumping and a large pod of dolphins playing with us for miles it had all the makings of a great day. We fished in the direction of Cooks Reef again and picked up mahi-mahi on the way there however the reef proved to be quieter than expected with only 6 mack tuna donating themselves for the bait bin. Another mahi was caught on the way south to Nguna Island. We had another shot for a doggy or G.T of the western end on Nguna only to get sharked twice. The day was rounded out with a great dinner and more celebrations at Kakoola Island which is becoming very popular with out guest due to its great location, comfort and amazing food. On day 5 we headed east to Scotts Rock, This place has been named Jurassic Park by the spearfisherman that I take there due to the amount of big doggies and shark that frequent the panicle that comes up from 400m to 3m below the surface.We put a couple of baits over the side and within minutes we had a double hook-up. More sharks!!! We had another shot and more sharks so we were out of there. Heading back west through undine Bay a good size sail was spotted free jumping but proved elusive when we attempted to catch it. Next stop was Mosso F.A.D and Richard caught a 10kg yellow fin, the first for the trip and smaller one and some skippies on his light tackle.  Next stop was Tuki-tuk F.A.D to find the most bird action and bait that we had seen for the whole trip. A couple more small fish fell prey to Richards light rod then the right rigger started loosing line at a furious speed. Ten minutes later a 37kg yellow fin was on the deck to round off a great trip. Thanks Richard and Bonnie

Leave a Reply